Copyright © Moores Go
Design by Dzignine
Thursday, August 30, 2012

Extra Deep Thoughts

It's kind of like pulling teeth to find out what goes on in the mind of FFM sometimes.  Other times it just vomits out.  Today I get this from the backseat as we were pulling into the driveway after a quick errand,

"Mom, where did the first person come from?  There wasn't anyone from them to be borned (sic) from so they had to come from somewhere.  Where did they come from?"

I'm tempted to blow him off.  It's the end of a long day at the end of a long week. I've been single-parenting it this week, it's the first whole week of school so everyone's been a bit loopy, and I'm just plain pooped from a long hot day.  But I can tell he's serious.  He's using critical thinking to try to figure out this question and he's stumped, the least I can do is give him a couple simple options to think about.

So I tell him in 5 year old terms about Creationism and Evolution and what science says and what religion says (he requested that we start going to church and is learning a few things in Sunday school).  I tell him that when he feels ready it will be his choice what to believe. I tell him what his Dad and I believe and that he'll know when he's old enough to decide for himself and that he might change his mind and that's OK too.

Then, the moment's gone.  FFM, after soaking it all in and asking a few more good questions along the way, gets supercrazymanic and we hustle off to bed.  Nothing like a kid to keep you on your toes.

0 comments: