Copyright © Moores Go
Design by Dzignine
Friday, August 24, 2012

The Big Day

After enough orientation that we were sick of it, the big day finally arrived.  Or day(s) depending on how you want to count it.  Yesterday was the first day of Kindergarten.  Day 1, however, was only about an hour long.  Today was the first WHOLE day of Kindergarten, where they do the whole she-bang, start to finish just like the big kids.
Circle time in Miss Harken's class, day 1
Were there tears?  Nope, none of us.  Relief?  Yes.  Frustration that the day wasn't long enough?  Oh yes.  Maybe in a few weeks he can go for full day a couple days a week.  Right now he still crashes and burns around 2pm without an afternoon nap.  Our school is very flexible and we can choose to go full day anytime we want, 2 or more days a week when we're ready.
1st year of school, 1st year for our new tree. I am amazed at the giant shoes.
Today we dropped him off at the playground before school and lingered with the other parents until the bell rang.  Kids ran to their designated lines to go into the school. FFM headed to his spot but got distracted by a new playground toy he's never been on before.  He proceeded to climb the toy and GOT STUCK.  The whole school is going inside and he's the only one left on the playground.  I'm gesturing to him to get down and get into line when I finally figure out he's stuck.  About the same time a playground monitor figured out the same thing and helped him down.  Unfazed that his whole class is waiting for him FFM sauntered over and finally got in line.  Hope it's smoother next week.

Here are FFM's early thoughts on Kindergarten:
"I want to learn everything.  All of it.  We didn't learn it all on the first day.  All we did was art and recess."

"My snack was good.  Some kids forgot their snack and they got Cheerios.  I wanted Cheerios and my snack so I asked Miss Harken and she let me have both."

"I like recess.  That's my favorite part.  It's not long enough."  Oh yes, the lessons you learn in Kindergarten stay with you the rest of your life!

0 comments: