Copyright © Moores Go
Design by Dzignine
Monday, September 10, 2012

Pinterest Project

I enjoy Pinterest.  It clicks with my style of visual organization and I like stashing project ideas for later.  Like most people I have way more ideas than I have time to follow through on but I do manage to do a few of my Pinterest projects and this latest is one of my favorites.

Our 30 year old house came equipped with 30 year old shiny brass hardware.  All of the light fixtures, towel bars, and even the floor registers have been updated, but the door hardware screams early 1980s.  Hello Pinterest idea.  I stumbled across this idea and there are about a million websites that give you specific instructions but I'll tell you what I did to change shiny brass to a more updated look.
 First I took all the hardware off, including the latch and strike plates.  Hinges will come later, I only had so much stamina.  I cleaned them all with TSP so that the paint would stick really well.  Travis picked up some primer and spray paint for me on one of his regular Home Depot trips.  Even though the paint said it had primer our past experience tells us things last longer and have a smoother finish with a real coat of primer under them.
Then I sprayed and sprayed and sprayed.  I should have worn a mask.  Some pieces needed to be flipped for even coverage and to make sure all visible parts were covered.  The tp rolls helped me get the undersides of the knobs.  24 hours after the last coat we put it all back up.
The color paint we used was Rustoleum oil rubbed bronze.  I ended up using just more than 1 can for 2+ coats on all the interior hardware in a 2 story house.  It's great!  For less than $20 and an easy few hours of work (more in waiting to dry time - I waited at least 1 hour between each coat) we have all new hardware.
What's next?  Maybe this!
glitterize your shoes!

0 comments: