It's messy, not anywhere close to right, but it's here. From nothing to something.
FFM wrote his name. All on his own. While we were waiting for pizza dinner! There are actually two N's there and we're still working on scale. Bath crayons on the shower door have been quite successful.
He started dropping the middle out of the alphabet song, which irritated me. Plus I've been reading books about how to prepare your preschooler for reading, which means learning your letters. ALL of them! No leaving out the ones in the middle.
So we've been on an alphabet mission. We play alphabet games in the car, put new batteries in the annoying fridge toy (you parents know, the one that you stick the letters in), and pulled out all the alphabet books. By the way, his number one absolute favorite alphabet book is the one we got at the Australian Post which goes A-Ant B-Bilby C-Crab D-Dingo E-Echidna, etc. I crack up (quietly) every time he works through 'eh-kid-na' but he's getting it!
The next part of the perfect storm was that we're about to go on a massive road trip. Like 850 miles/1400 km. Must. Have. Lots. Of. Entertainment. So I let him pick out a new 'educational' toy. This is what he picked:

The Leapfrog Scribble and Write. I'm not a fan of toys that take batteries, but he is so I try to compromise every once in a while (and Melinda helps sometimes ;). The timing must have been dead on because he played with this non-stop since it came home and his letter recognition went through the roof. Now, all of a sudden, letters are interesting and exciting! Hooray!
He still leaves out the middle of the alphabet song though. Hurumph.


0 comments:
Post a Comment