Copyright © Moores Go
Design by Dzignine
Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Sadly, the fish is dead.

We've got a tiny little fish tank with a couple of guppies in it. FFM greets said guppies every day with a hearty "ISH, ISH, blublublublublub!" He's very very very good about not banging or poking the tiny tank and has never dropped anything in it even though if he stood on his tippee toes he probably could.

Thus I was utterly horrified when my otherwise generally well behaved child (currently when he knows the rules he's really pretty good) tried to drop an unidentified object into the tank. I was distracted and not really paying attention, but out of the corner of my eye I saw the tippee toes, the outstretched hand, the small grey object. I, of course, screeched at my poor unsuspecting child who promptly dropped the object back on the floor. Only then did I tune him in and notice that he was saying "ish, ish, ish."

Sadly, at some point between when I checked on them last night and when FFM found it today, one of our two guppies made the leap from the tank to the floor. FFM was picking the poor dried up little fishy and trying to put him back in his home.

After the initial sadness (and slight gross out) I enjoyed a moment of FFM's developing logic. He figured out, all on his own, that that fish belonged in that tank even though, as far as he knows, it's never been anywhere outside of that tank before.

3 comments:

Kelly says:
at: March 10, 2009 at 6:41 AM said...

Awwwww, that's really sad. Very good of FFM to try and put it back though!

Anonymous
at: March 10, 2009 at 7:22 AM said...

Very impressed with the logic! You go Finn!

Deborah says:
at: March 19, 2009 at 9:10 PM said...

Wow. I'm half laughing and half crying.

We have a fish tank in Sam's room, a 10 gallon with some tetras. Sam knows that they are "feeesh," which can be hard to distinguish from "sheesh" (shoes) and "jeeesh" (cheese). He LOVES to stick his fingertips in the top and suck on the water. So gross. He loves dipping his hands in water and sucking on them (dog water, planter box water, rain puddle water...). We keep moving the fish tank up on higher and higher shelves, but it's the darnedest thing, Sam just keeps growing.