Copyright © Moores Go
Design by Dzignine
Sunday, March 30, 2008

Earth Hour 2008

(from the Earth Hour page)
'On 31 March 2007, 2.2 million people and 2100 Sydney businesses turned off their lights for one hour - Earth Hour. If the greenhouse reduction achieved in the Sydney CBD during Earth Hour was sustained for a year, it would be equivalent to taking 48,616 cars off the road for a year.
With Sydney icons like the Harbour Bridge and Opera House turning their lights off, and unique events such as weddings by candlelight, the world took notice. Inspired by the collective effort of millions of Sydneysiders, many major global cities joined Earth Hour in 2008, turning a symbolic event into a global movement.'

I'm back. (FYI, CBD=Central Business District or what what Yanks might think of as 'downtown).
Brisbane was one of the cities to participate in Earth Hour 2008 and we looked off our balcony last night and saw all the darkened office buildings. I'll admit, it was a lovely sight. Not only were the floor lights turned off but the giant neon company names on top of the buildings were off, too. It's always seemed wasteful to me to see giant high rise office buildings that are totally empty with all their lights blazing. I'm all for having lights on when you're working, or the cleaners are in there, but really, all night? Couldn't they at least manage turning off half the lights like when you go to the grocery store in the middle of the night (don't ask why I know this, but I do).

Anyway, check out the website for Earth Hour, and watch for next March. Sorry I didn't get this up sooner, I really should have and you all could have participated this year.
Earth Hour website

Here's a link to an article on CNN, too:
CNN Earth Hour story

0 comments: