Copyright © Moores Go
Design by Dzignine
Thursday, March 15, 2012

Mean Moms Rule

We're still working on adjusting FFM's school behavior.  To do this we're ditching "Mean F" and bringing back "Nice F" who we all like better.  It's creepy how fast he can switch back and forth once he's made aware he's being mean.  Of course Travis and I chatted about what "official parenting adjustments" we should make (i.e. tell him when he's being mean), and wouldn't you know it, one of my regular weekly email newsletters directed me to this link:

Forget the Niceties

7 reasons why Mean Moms rule

by Denise Schipani


I joke sometimes that I am a Mean Mom.  Everyone has different parenting styles, as they should.  Each family shuffles around its various personalities and figures out what works best for their dynamic.  What seems like eons ago Travis and I decided what our family goals were and how we wanted to parent, and Mean Mom it is for me.  A lot of days I feel pretty harsh.  I expect a lot from FFM, I don't put up with much, and I have a pretty short fuse for misbehavior.  Since he's an only child (no similarly aged siblings to compare behavior to) I do want to make sure that I am in check, too and not expecting too much from the little bugger.

I read the article.  I read excerpts to Travis.  I am not the only Mean Mom out there!  Our parenting style is legitimized by an internet article,  Yeah!  Ok, whatever.  It was fun to read.  More fun to watch Travis practicing his "enigmatic smile fixed on the middle distance".  

0 comments: