Copyright © Moores Go
Design by Dzignine
Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Big Meanie

I'm in a bit of a tizzie today.  I was THAT parent after preschool today, the one that got pulled aside and got the CHAT from the teacher.  Apparently my child is being mean.  And has been being mean to the other kids for weeks.  WEEKS?!?!  MEAN?!?!  OK, says I, what can I do to help?  The teacher, who for the two years she's know FFM has always been brimming with kind words about him, suggested a chat at home.  I'm not sold that a chat at home on Tuesday is going to stick long enough to help when he goes back on Thursday.  And I'm not sure he'll remember on Thursday what happened on Tuesday, so our chat about not doing the "mean stuff" may not have much of an impact.  

I wish the teacher had told me sooner (and been more specific, I did ask) so we could have nipped this in the bud. Meanness is pretty out of character for FFM so  I'm guessing she let it slide.  That's what I probably would have done - waiting to see if he was just out of sorts for a day or two.  He has been cranky, even at home, and it's partnered with lots and lots of sleep,an enormous appetite and all his pants getting another inch too short. Still, that's no excuse for knocking down kids and stealing toys.

So, we'll chat.  As we have been doing.  Any suggestions from my parenting audience on ways to get a 4.5 year old to remember to be kind and thoughtful to his peers?  Like the location of the magic switch?  I know it's there somewhere...

0 comments: