Copyright © Moores Go
Design by Dzignine
Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Parting is such sorrow

No, it's just not sweet at all.

After some soul searching and long discussions, Travis and I made the decision to leave Perth. Just not at the same time. FFM and I are going ahead of our scheduled November departure to attempt to secure some form of permanent housing for our little family. Where? Denver. Does Travis have a job there yet, you ask? Nope. But we're fairly certain he'll end up there, and if all else fails we'll rent the house in Denver and move on to our next assignment.

The market in Denver is picking up, after several national news stories and a general slow but steady upswing in real estate. Add that to the first time buyer tax credit we qualify for since we have not owned a home in over three years (see, there are benefits to being homeless!) and we feel the push to get a house purchased before Dec 31 when the deadline for the credit expires.

Due to Thanksgiving and Christmas, Nov and Dec aren't the best time to buy a house in the US, people generally don't put their houses on the market during the holidays. So, doing some math, we decided someone better get back to look at some houses before our scheduled departure at the end of November.

As of Sept 1, FFM and I will depart Australia for Colorado and won't return. Travis will follow late Nov. It'll be a LONG LONG time to be apart. Our household goods will ship when Travis leaves, and will take 8-12 weeks to get to Colorado. So, we'll leave our stuff and will see it again probably in about February 2010. I sure hope this plan all works, or FFM and I will be living out of suitcases for a really really long time.

3 comments:

Kelly says:
at: August 5, 2009 at 8:35 PM said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! We will miss you sooooo much! I really hope it all works out for you! Keep in touch!!!

Sullivan Family blog says:
at: August 6, 2009 at 12:20 PM said...

Welcome back! So what's the status of the house in Littleton? Good luck with the search. Let us know when you get back -- we would love to have you and FFM over for dinner again...or we could meet at the park.

Deborah says:
at: August 6, 2009 at 1:56 PM said...

Wowee. So exciting! And terrifying! And exciting! I look forward to following the whole thing online :)