Copyright © Moores Go
Design by Dzignine
Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Toe Balls and Pea Pods

As Travis' mom so aptly put it, we have jumped out of the frying pan into the fire.

Finn is three months old! Whoo hoo! This is when he turns the corner, starts to figure out the world, and will STOP CRYING! Oh no, faithful readers, lady luck does not shine upon our wee one. It appears that he's probably starting to teethe. Towards the end of last week he started drooling everywhere. And rubbing his face. And I won't share the amazing things he's started to excrete... We were all excited because it looked like he was figuring out that he has hands, as he's starting to chew on them. But really he's just chewing on them when they accidentally get into range...and he needs to soothe his gums. Poor little guy.


I finally was able to get a finger in to rub his gums and they do seem a bit swollen to me. I give him some baby Tylenol when it seems to get really bad and have some homeopathic herbal gel stuff the pharmacist gave me to rub on his gums (pharmacists here have way more prescribing authority than ones in the US, you can avoid a lot of dr visits for little nuisances and just chat with your pharmacist instead). *sigh* someday we'll have one of those happy burbling babies...

So in the meantime we do lots of distracting play time. During some of this playtime I noticed Finn's little toes were totally round. And I mean round like bb's. It cracked me up! First I wondered if he had a blister or something, then decided he's got round toes because he doesn't put any pressure on them yet. Maybe all babies have perfectly round toes and I've just never noticed. I'll admit I've never gotten much chance to study other babies' toes much. We tried to take a picture of his 'toe balls' but it's a little out of focus. Seems the camera focused on his face. I posted it anyway, maybe I'll get another better picture of the toe balls later.

It's also gotten a lot cooler around here lately. No more crop pants and sandals, time for the scarves and heavier jackets. Still not super chilly, but feels like autumn. Finn's still a little furnace and cranks out heat like nothing else, but even I have to break down and put some warmer clothes on him when we go for walks. Today we walked with the baby carrier, and I used the 'winter' cover for the first time. It's made of wind stopper fleece with reflective piping. What a outdoorsy fellow this Finn already is. So here's Finn and I preparing to go for our walk. He looks like a little black and white pea pod or baby silk worm. We had to prop the camera up on the book shelf so it's sort of a weird angle on the picture, sorry.

Anyway, the crying stopped once we got going, Finn LOVES to look around. He'll really enjoy it when he's big enough to sit up in the big boy stroller but for now he'll have to be happy with occasional front facing jaunts in the carrier. Now, in Dublin once it gets cold the entire city puts away all clothing with any color in it. Everyone dresses in black, white, gray or if they're feeling really outrageous maybe some brown. So here are Finn and I going for our afternoon walk, me in a bright orange scarf (not in the picture) and Finn in his bright red hat. We made quite the picture. It was quite obvious we were not Irish.

0 comments: