This past weekend was a bank holiday weekend. WAIT! you say, it's a bank holiday and you didn't go on vacation!?!? Yes, it's true, we must be new parents or something ;) But seriously, we can't get a passport for Finn until mid-October and we're already going away for a weekend in Ireland in September, so we decided to stay at home and enjoy each other on our own turf.
So, bad news first... Sunday was not so good. Travis got called in to work at 4am. Our power went out at home. Then a light bulb blew up in the kitchen and it blew the fuses for half the apartment including all of the appliances necessary to making formula for Finn. I had enough prepped to last for a couple more feedings, but things were looking dire. Shortly after noon I called Travis to see if he could come home to fix our crisis at home which Finn and I thought was more pressing than whatever else he might have been working on.
Travis came home only to find the gates that keep us nice and safe weren't opening. The pedestrian gate was open, so he parked on the sidewalk like any good Irish person would do and walked in. We also have electronic/magnetic locks on the building doors, and he called me from downstairs to see if I could let him in since his little swiper didn't seem to be working. Finn and I trekked downstairs only to discover that we couldn't get out and Travis couldn't get in. OH NO! I did know that we could get out if I pulled the fire alarm, but that seemed a little extreme. Travis ended up scaling a retaining wall and climbing in on our balcony, about 15min later someone did pull the fire alarm and all the magnets released so the doors were open.
So power went on and off a few more times, water went off once, we had no cable, and no internet (luckily we still had our wireless box from the last apt which still worked so we were OK) and no common area power at all until today. Apparently the power company came out to take a look at the problem on Sunday when it happened, determined they didn't have the part, and couldn't get it until after the bank holiday weekend. Sometimes I get a little bit homesick...
Travis snuck in a quick nap and ended up back at the plant the rest of Sunday, so our holiday weekend was looking like a dud :/
Monday, however, things looked up. The pouring rain stopped, the sun came out, so we quick packed up Finn and headed to the botanic gardens. We did a little walking around outside, see Travis and Finn in his super-duper 'buggy' on the bridge. We got to use the sun parasol! It's so exciting not to have to use the rain cover!
We ended up spending most of our time in the tropical greenhouse, we got in there and Finn just loved it - as much as a 5 week old can. He just looked and looked and looked. Unfortunately we didn't get too many pictures of that, we were too excited watching him watching the light in the greenery. Babies his age like high contrast things and the light in the leaves was just right for his developing vision. You can sort of see it in the picture where I'm holding him upright and in the one where Travis is holding him and Finn looks like he's about to fall asleep on a leaf (strange camera angle but his eyes are open and he was looking, I promise!). Plus I threw in one scrunchie face since that's still the face we see a lot of and one 'I'm really sleepy, can we go home now?' face.
So, bad news first... Sunday was not so good. Travis got called in to work at 4am. Our power went out at home. Then a light bulb blew up in the kitchen and it blew the fuses for half the apartment including all of the appliances necessary to making formula for Finn. I had enough prepped to last for a couple more feedings, but things were looking dire. Shortly after noon I called Travis to see if he could come home to fix our crisis at home which Finn and I thought was more pressing than whatever else he might have been working on.
Travis came home only to find the gates that keep us nice and safe weren't opening. The pedestrian gate was open, so he parked on the sidewalk like any good Irish person would do and walked in. We also have electronic/magnetic locks on the building doors, and he called me from downstairs to see if I could let him in since his little swiper didn't seem to be working. Finn and I trekked downstairs only to discover that we couldn't get out and Travis couldn't get in. OH NO! I did know that we could get out if I pulled the fire alarm, but that seemed a little extreme. Travis ended up scaling a retaining wall and climbing in on our balcony, about 15min later someone did pull the fire alarm and all the magnets released so the doors were open.
So power went on and off a few more times, water went off once, we had no cable, and no internet (luckily we still had our wireless box from the last apt which still worked so we were OK) and no common area power at all until today. Apparently the power company came out to take a look at the problem on Sunday when it happened, determined they didn't have the part, and couldn't get it until after the bank holiday weekend. Sometimes I get a little bit homesick...
Travis snuck in a quick nap and ended up back at the plant the rest of Sunday, so our holiday weekend was looking like a dud :/
Monday, however, things looked up. The pouring rain stopped, the sun came out, so we quick packed up Finn and headed to the botanic gardens. We did a little walking around outside, see Travis and Finn in his super-duper 'buggy' on the bridge. We got to use the sun parasol! It's so exciting not to have to use the rain cover!
We ended up spending most of our time in the tropical greenhouse, we got in there and Finn just loved it - as much as a 5 week old can. He just looked and looked and looked. Unfortunately we didn't get too many pictures of that, we were too excited watching him watching the light in the greenery. Babies his age like high contrast things and the light in the leaves was just right for his developing vision. You can sort of see it in the picture where I'm holding him upright and in the one where Travis is holding him and Finn looks like he's about to fall asleep on a leaf (strange camera angle but his eyes are open and he was looking, I promise!). Plus I threw in one scrunchie face since that's still the face we see a lot of and one 'I'm really sleepy, can we go home now?' face.

0 comments:
Post a Comment