Copyright © Moores Go
Design by Dzignine
Friday, February 25, 2011

Instead of skiing today we did THIS...

Back in December we had our first run in with THE CROUP. What seemed like a mild mid-winter common cold sudden turned scary when FFM stopped breathing. He was trying to suck air in and only a trickle would go down. As he turned paler and paler we made our first ever ER run, at 2am no less (me wondering the whole way if we should have called 911 instead). All turned out well, the ER was quiet, we got in and fixed right away, but had to stay until dawn because of the treatment they gave FFM.

Flash foward to Thursday. Bark bark cough again. Normally totally sane parents remember December 2am ER terror. I'm on the phone at 8:00:01 Friday morning when the doctor's office opens and score morning appointment with Peds dr who diagnoses THE CROUP. We're given a sample of oral steroids to give at dinner so he can breathe tonight. Yay! Disaster averted.

Nope. He got a fever, gagged when I gave him the steroids, and threw up the steroids. Gave him the dose of steroids reserved for tomorrow. Threw up again. Fever up even more. This all leads to crying, which makes barking cough/breathing much, much worse. Left message with our dr office, tossed everyone in the car and off to Urgent Care we went.

Urgent Care was good (so is our Dr, btw) and he has samples of grape flavored steroids which FFM likes so much he licks the cup clean. No throwing up, fever down to reasonable levels, barking cough mellowed. If we can get through tonight and tomorrow I think we'll be out of the woods.

FFM had chicken pox on his first birthday, and I thought that was pretty awful. There's really no way to stop a one year old from scratching himself to bits (he's got scars) but I tell you, THE CROUP is so much worse. I'll take chicken pox any old day over this.

0 comments: