We're back online here in Colorado after abandoning the safe haven of my mom's basement for the wilds of the new house. Monday night was our first night in the new house, I tossed a heap of stuff into the back of my mom's car (a.k.a Granny Annie's Big Big car) and we hoped for the best.
I did get all the toothbrushes and critical items, and it was awful nice to sleep in my very own bed for the first time in over three years. I did not, however, manage to find any of the sheets for it, so I did have to run out and buy a new set of sheets. Somewhere between Dublin, Brisbane, Perth, and the masses of boxes strewn about I know there are sheets, but I still haven't found the ones here in Denver.
This is by far the most challenging unpacking I've ever done. Now, I've packed and unpacked many times in my life, and done it several times since having FFM. We moved three weeks before he was born and we packed and moved ourselves using just our tiny Ford Focus. Move 1 (OK, so he wasn't around but I was so pregnant he might as well have been). Move 2 Dublin-Denver for an extended holiday of nearly three months. Move 3 Denver-Brisbane. Move 4 Brisbane-Perth. Move 5 Perth-Denver. Move 5.1 from Granny Annie's basement where we stayed for just over a month and then into the new house. So I'm used to packing/unpacking with an infant/baby/toddler in tow. We land/depart a place and Travis goes to work leaving the moving stuff to me. No biggie, I actually like the unpacking part. But right now, I'm thwarted. I get about three boxes unpacked a day. I'm exhausted and FFM's patience with "Mommy's got work to do today" is at it's end. He wants to play, and kick the ball, and go swimming again. He's used to having a full time Mom, not this stranger who keeps telling him to go play with the trains some more.
So, we'll get it done, I'm in no hurry. The house is a disaster and will be for a long long time. Today I went through one whole box and threw everything in it away. That's what happens when you pack things thinking you'll only be gone for a few months and you end up unpacking three and a half years later. It was kind of exciting, it went really fast ;)

0 comments:
Post a Comment