We're moving to Perth in less than a month, and I'm learning exactly how far away from the rest of the world parts of Australia really are.
Travis finished final job discussions a week ago and yesterday we got the final details worked out on exactly when we're going to leave Brisbane and fly to Perth. It's a bit of a quick change for us but not totally unexpected. There was some other work in Australia that came about, but the timing wasn't great for us and the job offer in Perth finally started to line up with what Travis was looking for, so off we go.
Knowing when/where we are going means I can finally book travel again! The long awaited plane tickets to go to my brother Q's wedding to the lovely Karen this November are done. Nothing like booking tickets that look this this: Perth-Sydney-LA-Phoenix (spend a week doing wedding stuff) -Denver (hang out for a month or so with family)-LA-Sydney (take two weeks off to go to New Zealand on a boat) - Perth. Throw in coordinating travel with mother-in-law Penny who is starting from Durango and joining us starting with the Denver leg, and a series of almost-but-not-quite-the-same tickets for Travis who has to skip the Colorado part to go back to work and I'm glad to pay a travel agent to deal with sorting out airline schedules, connecting flights, and getting all of us on the same plane at the same time.
Booking all this travel was not the best idea right before moving to Perth. It really makes me realize HOW FAR AWAY from EVERYTHING Perth is. It's a 5 hour flight from Brisbane or Sydney to Perth. Penny learned it's a 3 day train ride. It's going to take 26 hours and 52 minutes for us to fly from Perth to Phoenix. That's starting from when our first plane takes off and our last plane lands (for you world travelers that are rolling your eyes at me-that's all coach. I'm not complaining, but do expect to be a total wreck upon arrival in AZ. We start out the trip on a redeye with a one year old...). So I got to thinking, what if I was going to the east coast of the US? Would it be faster to go the other way around the world? Exactly what is on the opposite side of the earth from Perth?
Well, turns out it's pretty much Bermuda. If I look at our family, we're absolutely farthest away from Suzie and James, in York, PA (don't take it personally guys). While googling the
antipode of Perth I found this map.

If your Australian geography isn't as good as it used to be, I put a little orange circle where Perth is and a green square where Brisbane is. The pink part of the map shows what your antipode would be - or play here (zoom in see Bermuda):
http://www.zefrank.com/sandwich/tool.htmlI'm so so sad to be leaving the good friends I finally made here after such a short period of time, and honestly we live in the nicest apartment we've ever had in a stellar location that's going to be tough to match. That said, I look forward to seeing a new Australian city and can't wait to explore a whole new part of the country.
It will be a whole new experience for me to move somewhere that's not totally new - Perth will have all the same grocery stores, department stores, and I've already got the post office figured out (these are the important things when you move to a new country!). For the first time ever I'll be moving to a new place where not only do I already know someone, that someone is a good friend. Katie's been living there just over a year now and we can't wait to see them all again. I'm already making plans to meet up with Brissy friends again next June for a mom's trip to Melbourne, which always makes parting a bit easier.
0 comments:
Post a Comment