Copyright © Moores Go
Design by Dzignine
Friday, January 18, 2013

King of the Ice

As much as is reasonable we let F pick his own activities. Sometimes there's a veto if it's not age appropriate or budget and schedule friendly, but overall he gets to do the extracurricular stuff he wants to do.

Back in preschool F's class went ice skating once a month. He. Loved. It. I checked out ice skating classes at the time and we had a schedule conflict. This fall there was a new schedule and since he's a little older he qualifies for more classes ergo more available time slots. He started in November and is now into his first full session of skating lessons.

F's a hoot on ice. From my perch outside the rink it appears his two favorite things are skating backwards and running into the boards. Perhaps he'll opt for hockey soon.

This afternoon we got a flier from school for the local youth baseball and volleyball leagues. F's expressed interest in playing these sports so I offered him up a choice. Skating, baseball, OR volleyball. After trying to talk me into letting him do them all, then "...maybe just two of them, Mommy?" he quickly opted for skating. I was a bit surprised, the pull of baseball has been strong.

After lessons I let him free skate for a while and that kiddo boogied around the ice chock full of confidence. He may choose alternative sports and activities, but dang it he's having a really good time.

0 comments: