Copyright © Moores Go
Design by Dzignine
Saturday, April 30, 2011

How Our Grass Ate Our Weekends

So we all know it's spring, and that means that the grass is getting green, flowers are blooming, bees are buzzing.  Hmmm.  Mostly.

Around here we had an exceptionally dry winter.  The mountains got glorious snow, but Denver was dry, dry, dry.  I did strange things like drag out the sprinkler in January and February so I could water our trees and grass.  Not so they would grow but so they wouldn't die.

Hmmm.

Yay spring!  We learned from last year and start our heavy lifting projects early, before it gets hot.  Travis hauled some more rocks, we made some new flower beds, had our trees trimmed, and straightened a fence that was leaning precariously.  All the while waiting for our grass to get green.

The spot of grass you see here (plus Travis finishing up fence repairs after finally getting it vertical again) is pretty much the only green in the yard.  The rest of our back yard has been ravaged by rabbits and the front yard ravaged by mites and fungus.  You can see the greenbelt area beyond our neighbors fence, it's got a lot of winter damage, too.  We've spent so many weekends first working on then battling with the grass only to watch it get worse and worse.  ARGH!

Last week I decided to take serious action and set up an appointment with our county extension agent.  He came today and I got professional, unbiased help and learned exactly what was wrong with our yard. I am now armed with great and EASY information on how to fix the yard, just in time for our potential snow this weekend.

0 comments: