Copyright © Moores Go
Design by Dzignine
Friday, October 15, 2010

Gimpy

I feel lame. A week ago I had shoulder surgery and I'm still gimpy. All I had done was get three lousy holes poked into my shoulder, a bunch of bone scraped out, and some silly stuff slurped out that I didn't really need anyway. Now all I want to do is lay on the couch all day. I do get to blame some of it on the fact that my entire right arm still doesn't move above the elbow, and only recently did I gain movement from the elbow to my wrist, but I'm starting to get a wee bit restless folks!

I'm not used to being helpless (are any of us? Especially do-it-all mommies). I'm also not used to being a couch potato. I like to read. Or to go for a walk while FFM bikes/scooters/rambles about. Or I knit. And I constantly pick up the piles that we all trail behind us. I Organize, plan, bake things, cook dinner, you know all that day to day fun stuff? And I can't do any of those things one handed. OK, I can sort of read, but it's actually really hard to read one handed for any period of time-you can either hold the book OR turn the pages, but not do both...

So I'm ready for my arm to start moving. Here are some comic things I have tried to do, with varying degrees of success, one-handed with my non-dominant left hand:

blow dry my hair
dust
make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
wash the dishes (doesn't work-hah!)
pour milk out of reusable gallon jug (handle isn't on the side, it's a hinged one on the top)
pull a board game out of a stack of other board games
take lunch, swim gear, backpack, and 3 yr old to school in pouring rain
make no bake cookies
wrap a towel around my wet hair
snap F's pants
do up a bra strap (un-doing is much easier!)
read picture books with kiddo in lap

Every day gets a little better, I'm hoping that next week will see marked improvements. Poor F-ster is a bit bummed out that Mommy is 'broken.' He's been extra gently with hugs and has been very good about minding the right side, but misses snuggles and cuddles and big all over hugs. Must get fixed soon!

0 comments: