So the news about bisphenol A in plastic baby bottles and the ban in Canada has made it all the way to my online laptop newsfeed. This issue has been in the news off and on for years now, and while I'll be cautious I'm still not ready to go out and throw all my bottles away. First there's the cost involved, second I'm still not convinced it's not being blown a bit out of proportion by the press. I'll be careful and will treat the plastic in the recommended manner (don't put boiling water in them, etc).
But moving into the world of sippy cups I thought I might as well look at the ones without the much discussed chemical, and turns out we own some already. I took a look at some of the other suggested alternatives and thought of other issues that might come up. Aluminum. Really? Didn't we used to think it might cause Alzheimer's? Hmmm. Stainless steel. OK, I'll buy that. Stainless sounds good. But the prices! And have you seen how a toddler treats a sippy? One good toss out the stroller and that beautiful stainless steel cup will have a nice dent in it. Not the end of the world, so a possible alternative. I think we'll take a look at the plastics that don't have bisphenol A in them. Or, whatever sippy cup I can find at the store. Or whatever FFM will use. That's where we are now. I'd love to do the safest thing for him, but it all comes down to what he'll put in his mouth and drink out of.
Here's the thing that really worries me, and Travis, too. This first hit the news in Denver about five years ago. Being in the water biz it caught Travis' eye immediately. He's been watching it, he thinks it's going to become a big issue in water. Endocrine disrupters in the water supply are hard to avoid and right now, just about impossible to remove. So they're building up. You can have the safest bottle/sippy cup in the world but if the water you put in it is full of stuff similar to the stuff you're avoiding with your super safe bottle...well... The Denver Post ran an interesting article about this a couple of years ago to follow up their first story from back in about 2004. Check out the links. Good stuff to know.

0 comments:
Post a Comment