Copyright © Moores Go
Design by Dzignine
Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Great Big Hike

After all the years of working in Beaver Creek, living in Colorado, and vacationing here, I'm not sure I've ever actually ridden the lift in the summer. Boy, have I missed out. I think (gasp!) this might actually be as much fun as skiing. Not only because it's warmer, but there are ZERO people around, and the scenery's still fantastic. This was FFM's first chairlift ride. He's ridden gondolas, but only seen chairlifts, and like all things mechanical (and with wheels) he's totally obsessed. Travis and I both got shushed on the way up so he could study the wheels as we went over the towers.

Once at the top we started a long hike down. Some people hike up and ride the chair down but that sounded like way too much work to us. It turned out to be a five mile hike and FFM was a super trooper and made it nearly all the way on his own. We stopped for a picnic lunch and a lot of snacks and Daddy hauled him on his shoulders for a little bit toward the end.

Lo and behold! Our hike takes us back under the chair! HOORAY!!!
The wildflowers were nearing peak, and it was gorgeous. Here we are at the top of Redtail, looking over at Larkspur Bowl and Grouse Mountain.
Heading down the 'blue' rated trail. We picked the blue one as 1) it wasn't the road and 2) it didn't allow bikes and 3)based on it's location we would meander through trees and then across some of the ski trails which meant we'd see more wildflowers. You aren't supposed to walk down the ski trails as it creates undue erosion so there are dedicated hiking trails instead.
Some columbine peeking out (our state flower).
The trail ended at the Chapel where Travis and I got married (yippee!) and we all sat to take a break by the creek. Finn hung out in the bendy tree.

It was a great day, including a stop for a family happy hour at an old haunt of mine. My favorite bartender who used to only charge me for one out of every three or four drinks is long gone, but that's OK, it was still a (as FFM says) STUPENDOUS day anyway.

0 comments: