From the great book Food Lover's Companion: Vegemite[VEJ-uh-mite]The brand name of a Kraft Foods yeast extract product, which is wildly popular in Australia. Vegemite was the brainchild of a young Australian named Fred Walker that was created in 1922 by his company's chief scientist, Dr. Cyril Callister. This thick, dark brown, intensely salty paste is flavored with a variety of ingredients including celery and onions. It's used as a bread spread and is a favorite on breakfast toast. Australians are weaned on it but, for all but the initiated, it's definitely an acquired taste. Vegemite can be found in some specialty gourmet stores and is available through mail order.
FFM had his first Vegemite sandwich for lunch today. Chopped into little bite size pieces of course. It's a classic childhood meal for Aussie kids, it's on every kids menu, like grilled cheese or chicken nuggets in the USA. Both T and I have tried it, too. I had an Aussie friend back in my ski bum days who tried to convert me but I'll admit I'm not ready to give up my Extra Crunchy Jif just yet. FFM, however, gobbled it up (although with it's high salt content it's probably not going to be a regular on our menu).
And just 'cause you've got that song in your head now :)

0 comments:
Post a Comment